Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Adventures with Soy Beans

As Jeremy approaches six months, I worry about his limited repertoire of solid foods. "The book says" that he needs to be getting more and more of his nutrients from food, but so far he only eats rice, peas and carrots. There are only so many combinations you can make with three ingredients. So he gets a little bored, I think, and he loves his bottle so much! It's going to take some ingenuity to break his bond with his comfort food.

So, yesterday I decided that he might try edamame -- puréed of course. I set Jeremy up as my sous chef (he sat in his high chair in the middle of the kitchen). And I boiled a package of shelled soy beans, and threw them into the blender. Slowly, I added water, trying to achieve a smooth consistency. I was captivated by how very bright green the purée was! I guess I figured the soy beans would be whitish or less colorful inside. But they are as brilliant as fresh grass in spring time, through and through. As the concoction was approaching a nice creamy texture, I accidentally dropped the spoon into the blender and...kerplow...it shot up faster than a hobby rocket! The spoon bounced off the ceiling and ricocheted noisily back to the floor, clearing the dogs out of the kitchen faster than you can say "get the kitty!" In its wake, the flying spoon left a splatter pattern of bright green creamy soy bean paste so far and wide that the team from CSI would even be impressed. And, through it all, Jeremy sat pleasantly amused, unblemished by the splatter and commotion as if he had his deflector shield up.

After cleaning the floor, the ceiling, the cabinets, the (once) clean dishes in the dish drainer, the toaster and myself of all the evidence, we got down to the real business of eating. Jeremy liked it! So much, that he probably ate more of this new, complex food than he should have. All afternoon, he was gassy and uncomfortable. As Dr. Suess says, he had crummies in his tummy. Poor thing. I felt bad for him.

I guess we'll have to expand his menu with less sophisticated -- and dramatic -- foods.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your writing. so very descriptive. so very humorous. and i can so relate..to wanting to expand your wee guy's food repertoire...but their gut not quite being ready. go slow.

MommyNay said...

Olivia didnt eat much if any solids atall until around 18months and not a bite till 9months and now eats an unimaginable variety of foods. dont stress to much, food is just for fun right now! Its great he loves his bottle so much it is afterall supposed to be his main source of nutrition during his first year, your doing great mom!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll chime in with Renee, our daughter had her first solid food at about 8 months, and it was slow going from there...

and now she will eat anything from tomatos to avacados to peppers to anything fruit, beans, tofu, even seaweed (though she doesn't like meat much :/).