
Here, Jeremy is prepping his Mommy for surgery. Barb began orthodontic treatment last year to correct a badly aligned jaw and bite. Basically, she has never been able to bite all the way through a sandwich or anything the rest of us take for granted. She was bestowed an open bite. Note that, in the picture below, Barb's teeth are closed. That is, as closed as hers ever got.
On Wednesday, October 19, Barb willingly allowed a team of doctors to break her upper and lower jaws in several places, realign them, screw them back together with titanium plates (this is not for do-it-yourselfers), and then wire her shut while she heals. Barb made me promise not to post her post operative pictures (which I can't resist taking) until she looks less like a jack o' lantern. With her swelling and multi-colored bruising, though, suffice to say that she looks a lot like Mr. Waternoose from Monster's Inc. Jeremy is somewhat bewildered by her appearance. But he thinks it is funny how she blows kisses from lips that look like she had a botched collagen job.

1 comment:
oh man oh man have I been there. I have had my jaw broken more times than I care to remember. I hope she doesn't have all the complications I always get.
I'll be having it done again in about 5-6 months I imagine. I can already feel it starting...
Post a Comment