Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Time Warp?

I am reading the current issue of Parents magazine, where it says that most children don't master the spoon until age 3 and the fork until 5. I am sitting across from my eighteen-month-old son who is methodically transporting cubes of mango from his plate to his mouth by stabbing it with his fork. It does take a fair amount of concentration, though. Jeremy still has a ways to go before it becomes second nature. So, after eating about 8 pieces this way, he does revert to using nature's utensils -- his fingers. Still....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

3yrs?5yrs? are they serious???? Im a former daycare provider/preschool teacher and mom to a 3yr old, spoon around age one, fork by age 2 especially the method Jeremy is using...at age 3 Olivia and all her friends have completely mastered the use of silverware--and in the case of Olivia chop sticks too...how wierd they list that as average! wow!

Anonymous said...

^ Renee, Shana and Olivia

Sonya said...

Wow, I wonder what they consider "mastering" at Parents.

Sounds like Jeremy is doing wonderfully with his eating skills!

I'd agree with Renee. The timelines she's mentioned are more in line with what we experience at our house with our kids and the daycare kiddos.

Take care! I hope Jeremy is feeling great!

Casey said...

I have one child who knows how to use a fork and spoon but who prefers not to - at least, not without our constantc coaching to do so.

The other, well....she has been using her fork and spoon properly since about 10 or 11 months. She amazed us when she started since her older brother is still having (control) issues with utensils.