Friday, July 07, 2006

Down, Stay!

We have two dogs. Labrador mutts. Litter mates we brought home from a rescue when we were search of one dog. They are currently enrolled in 4Paws University, not only to learn some civility, but also to have some fun doggie-only time with Barb and I without having to worry about Jeremy pinching their ears.

Jeremy happily participates in our training efforts at home. He claps with glee when the dogs do roll-over and spinning tricks. And he often stands by my side, mimicking my words and hand motions when I am giving commands. "Down," he shouts, shoving his hands toward the floor.

Last night, he participated in a new way. I began the twice-daily before-meal routine by standing in the middle of the kitchen and asking the dogs to lie down. First, to my right, Rizzo lay down. In quick succession, Frenchie lay down to her right. And then, plop, to Frenchie's right, Jeremy lay down! Just like a Muslim in prayer! He was quite thrilled with himself. As was I!